Belgravia Leisure, in partnership with Belgravia Foundation, recently introduced free Mental Health Training to all Belgravia Leisure employees in Australia and New Zealand. The online training program, developed in the United Kingdom by UK Coaching, Mind and 1st4Sport, was available worldwide to every person in the health and fitness industry.
The impact of COVID-19 has affected every industry in Australia and New Zealand, but the leisure and fitness industry could be considered amongst the most affected by government-mandated lockdowns and closures. We have actively looked for ways to support the mental health of our teams and the local communities in which they serve.
In mid-August, all Belgravia Leisure employees were encouraged to enrol in the online Mental Health Awareness Training Program. The aim of the program was to provide practical skills and strategies for employees to:
- Build people’s resilience, self-esteem and confidence
- Adapt facilities and programs to make them more inclusive
- Enable and support mental health recovery
- Tackle stigma and discrimination
The training program was recently discussed on Belgravia Leisure’s Live CEO Briefing session where mental health was a key focus. Guest speakers Gordon Famui, Bobby Savic and Kim Sheen joined the Live session to share how the mental health training program has helped them support their own mental wellbeing.
Associate Professor Jeff Walkley, CEO of Belgravia Foundation, said, “With the growing uncertainty and extended COVID-19 restrictions in Australia and New Zealand, we felt it was important that the employees at Belgravia Leisure were equipped with the tools to support their own mental health and their local communities.”
At the completion of the training course, employees reported in an anonymous survey:
- a 12% increase in confidence and readiness to support anyone with a mental health issue
- a 23% increase in confidence in adapting their sports and physical programs to accommodate a mental health issue
- a 21% increase in awareness of the barriers to physical activity as a result of poor mental health
- a 21% increase in their rating of organisational support from Belgravia Leisure to support staff to increase their confidence and capacity around mental health
As COVID-19 continues to challenge our industry and the wider community, we are committed to finding more ways to support the mental health of our people.
- The mental health training program remains free until the 30th of September. To find out more about this training program please click here.
- If you require assistance with your mental health, please refer to the Belgravia COVID-19 Employee Guide that contains helpful information and resources to support your mental health.